• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Problems with latest iTunes

Started by Pepper, February 18, 2014, 03:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepper

The latest updates from Apple seem to have some issues.

After approving everything and trying to launch iTunes a couple days later I discovered that the Application Support update was failing. Research led me here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5376 which states that you need to uninstall everything in a specific order, reboot, and then reinstall iTunes with Admin privilege.

Going thru the uninstall steps, it kept failing on Application Support saying stuff was still running until I found and killed all the offending processes. At that point I was able to reinstall the newest Application Support, Mobile Device Support and iTunes (in that order; I don't want Bonjour or the updater) and it is working again.

Just a heads-up for anybody who sees their iTunes break after approving the latest updates. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do in your catalog to "make it update correctly" but there it is.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Thanks for reporting! We didn't come across this during our testing phases of iTunes 11.1.4 nor can we repro it. There shouldn't be any permissions issues with the Install from SCCM since it's running in System context. It may be related to if the previous version was installed without admin rights?

Thanks!

Pepper

No idea about that, but from the reading I did about it, it looks like a lot of people were affected and that would include people who downloaded and installed manually, or used Apple's updater as well.

You mentioned permissions for SCCM, what about clients who are just using normal Windows Update pointed at the WSUS, without SCCM being involved?

You will need SCCM to import our custom CAB to publish and deploy updates.

rbevan

Can you confirm that it is possible to use SCUP 2011 and WSUS to push this update out as we are seeing the following error

Apple Application Support was not found

Apple Application Support is require to run iTunesHelper. Please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again. Error 2

Did you also publish Apple Application Support (x86) and (x64)?