• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Log file location

Started by kitley, September 25, 2017, 11:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitley

Hi
I believe the log file for PMPC used to be saved to C:\ComputerName.rtf but it seems this is not longer the case. I have found the log file in %localappdata%\Temp\PatchMyPC.log but would like to move to a central location however I can't get it to work.
The main reason for moving is that when the Scheduled Task runs, it does so as SYSTEM user and I can find no log file created at all. Does it write a log when run as SYSTEM?
In another post I found a reference to the registry entry LogSaveLocation which I have attempted to set however it seems this is ignored by the software. I have tried a folder and left PMPC to set the filename and I have tried defining the full path and filename and whether run as SYSTEM or an admin user, the log is never created.
Please could you help. What am I missing?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Can you check C:\Windows\Temp for the log when run as SYSTEM. Yes, we did move the log location from the root of C:\ to clean things up. We will look at possibly adding the custom log location in the future.

kitley

Hi Justin,
Thanks, log for SYSTEM user is indeed in C:\Windows\Temp.
Re the custom log location I found info from this old forum post (https://patchmypc.net/forum/index.php?topic=139.msg466#msg466). I take it this facility has been removed from the software? Would be a nice addition but far less important now I have the current location, I can read the contents in to my script. Many thanks

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Yes, that was removed when we cleaned up the options menu.