• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

[Feature Request] Allow local storage of applications.

Started by Saito, September 22, 2011, 12:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saito

The idea is pretty simple,

Allow Patch My PC download and store the updates so it can install them again without the requirement of a internet connection.

I use an usb key with tools to help me resolve computer problems. Now I have pretty much have every piece of software on it but now I have to check for updates on them, download everything manually and do so again every few weeks. If PmPC can store the updates it downloads and install them from local disk isn't of the web it greatly increase the speed of the whole process.

If you could include something like the WSUS Offline updater with that it would be the bomb  8)

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

This is something I'm certainly planning on doing in the future. Most likely a cheap Pro version intended for admin's where they could control where everything is downloaded from and more features.

Lord Necron

Quote from: Justin on September 23, 2011, 07:04:10 AM
This is something I'm certainly planning on doing in the future. Most likely a cheap Pro version intended for admin's where they could control where everything is downloaded from and more features.
I look forward to it. As far as WSUS is concerned, check out WSUS Offline Update.

w0mbat

Yes please!!!
This would be an excelent tool for our network enviroment.

Is there any kind of timeframe on 'offline' or 'network share store' version?

Cheers!

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Not anytime soon most likely. I don't have the time right now to add those features for a product I'm paying to host and losing money on!  :o

w0mbat

We would be one of the ones prepared to pay for the software that does what we need it to do.  I am at the moment evaluating some WSUS software that we are looking at droping $7K on, just to do 3rd party software patches. Me recons that would pay your hosting bill. It does allow us to 'roll our own' packages for WSUS as well.

Your software on each node controlled by a 'management version' that the clients look to for instruction is pretty much what we are after. (clients will be needing to run with admin creds of course to run the updates)
If it can't talk to the local repository then it needs to go off ot the web (for laptop users ETC)

Would be the same for lots of small businesses out there that have WSUS for MS updates, but nothing for 3rd party apps.

Just food for thought.

Really appreciate what your doing.

adiadasman

I was wondering if you had thought about revisiting this feature? At the moment I am paying $20/month for Ninite Pro. If you continue adding software and had a local cache, your software would be just as good. I would be more than willing to pay for a Pro version of your software, I am just sick of paying monthly. I really think a one time fee is more appropriate for software like this.